We would add that there have been wetlands issues, ESA and other concerns besides the fact that people that live next to airports have higher rates of asthma, lung issues and more.
Health Issues Caused By Living Near an Airport | IndoorDoctor
There is mounting evidence that living near an airport may cause health issues. There are various health risks which can have long term effects and can prove to be fatal for the life of people living near the airport. Listed below are four major contaminants residence should monitor while living near an airport.
This week we (StopAirportExpansion) are launching an effort to get signatures on a petition asking the Board of Supervisors to stop the expansion of the Sonoma County Airport: https://www.change.org/StopAirportExpansion
Please sign now as we would like to deliver this petition with hundreds of signatures to the Supervisors next week.
To sign, click this link: https://www.change.org/StopAirportExpansion
Reasons to sign:
We are in a Climate Crisis.
- Locally we are already experiencing impacts of the climate crisis including record high winds, wildfires, floods, and the loss of health, homes and lives.
- In recognition of this, the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors has passed a Climate Emergency Resolution.
Air travel emits significant CO2 which worsens the Climate Crisis.
- A round-trip flight from New York to London generates an average of 986 kg of CO2 per passenger. There are 56 countries where the average person’s carbon footprint is less than that for an entire year.
- Increasing CO2 would prevent future generations from having the opportunities prior generations have had to live and thrive.
There is a proposal to increase air travel at the Sonoma County Airport with plans to begin construction this summer on expansion of the airport terminal.
- It is expected to cost $25 Million to expand the terminal (half of the funds have been obtained). Instead, our community needs to utilize our resources to address the Climate Crisis, increase fire safety, reduce power outages, and develop economic justice by creating green jobs that are not dependent upon fossil fuels.
- Increasing the number of flights will increase noise pollution, air pollution and health challenges, especially for those with asthma.
We need public support to STOP expansion of the Sonoma County Airport.
PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION TO THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS: https://www.change.org/StopAirportExpansion
We urge you to please stop any plans to increase flights at the Sonoma County Airport and to not put any resources into expansion of the airport terminal.
To sign, click this link:
INFOGRAPHIC: The toxic dangers of living near an airport
The US aviation industry has grown to be the most robust in the world, shuttling millions of passengers from one point to another every year. According to the New Jersey Institute of Technology …
Living near an airport ‘may be bad for your health’ – NHS
Living near an airport ‘may be bad for your health’ Wednesday 21 October 2015 “People who live within six miles [of an airport] have higher levels of asthma and heart problems,” the Daily Mail reports after a US study has suggested exposure to carbon monoxide from planes may impact on health.
Airport Noise and Pollution Can Effect Your Health
Airport noise can also have negative effects on children’s health and development. A 1980 study examining the impact of airport noise on children’s health found higher blood pressure in kids living near Los Angeles’ LAX airport than in those living farther away.